Earlier today Democrats in the House of Representatives (House Democrats) proposed a $3 trillion-dollar relief package called the Health and Economic Recovery Omnibus Emergency Solutions Act (HEROES Act). Voting on the legislation, proposed by Nancy Pelosi, will take place in the House this Friday.
The legislation will provide state and local governments with more funding totaling approximately $1 trillion. The HEROES Act will also allow each household to receive up to $6,000 dollars and a second round of $1,200 payments.
Additional funding the HEROES Act provides:
· $200 billion dedicated to Hazard Pay for essential workers
· $75 billion for coronavirus testing and free coronavirus treatments
· $10 billion for COVID-19 emergency grants to support small business and nonprofits
· Extends the $600 federal unemployment payments through January 2021
· $175 billion for housing assistance
If the HEROES Act gets passed it will be the largest relief package in U.S. history.
However, some people already believe that it will not pass. Sen. John Barrasso told reporters that he does not believe the bill will pass.
Read the full summary of the Heroes Act here.